BOND provided preconstruction and construction management services for a major modernization effort at Fitchburg State University’s existing, 1960s-era Condike Science Building. A 45,000 SF renovation and 55,000 SF addition to the Building resulted in the Antonucci Science Complex, an integrated, state-of-the-art classroom, research, and laboratory facility for the University’s chemistry, biology, physics and geophysical science disciplines. BOND was engaged by the Division of Capital Asset Management & Maintenance (DCAMM) during the early stages of preconstruction to provide budgeting, scheduling, value analysis and constructability insights for the design process. Working closely with the design team at CBT Architects, BOND constructed the project in two phases, utilizing the addition as swing space to allow for the renovation of the Condike Wing. The LEED Silver-certified Complex marks the University’s first new academic facility since 1963.
- Site located on a topographically challenging site on an active campus
- Delivered under Chapter 149A guidelines
- Discovery of unforeseen structural conditions in existing Condike Science Building
- Procurement of long-lead items, including air handling units (AHUs) and curtainwall
- Extensive use of Building Information Modeling (BIM) to facilitate smooth integration of complex laboratory MEP systems and to extract programming information for various design iterations
- Utilization of BOND’s tablet-based QA/QC BIM 360 program.
- Tailored file sub-bid procurement approach for 17 trades, leading to clearer documents and enhanced budget management
- Completion of an in-depth envelope design study to facilitate smooth installation of curtainwall elements
- Delivery of a cutting-edge, modernized Science Complex that brings definition and a new identity to Fitchburg State University’s existing quad, creating an important campus connection
- Project completed on time and within budget with zero incidents
- Significant reduction in MEP punchlist items due to in-house BIM coordination services